Friday, February 1, 2013

JOB SEARCH JOURNEY: FINAL DESTINATION?


I've debated what to blog about this morning, first wanting to write about my love of animated film of all things, but have decided to blog about my impending job search since it's just around the river bend (see what I did there?)

I have heard that if you're really searching for something, you should make other people aware in case they have advice or can help you in some other way. So while I've had many a conversation behind closed doors, contemplating what to do and where to go, maybe there is something somebody outside of my most immediate circle knows or can enlighten me about.

Currently I am a second-year graduate assistant in Residence Life and prior to my GAship, I was a resident adviser for three years. I'm primarily searching for something that allows me to utilize my creative energies within Housing. 

I particularly love programming and graphic design, and am looking to gain more knowledge in the realm web communications. When I started college, I wanted to pursue film, and my undergraduate degree is in public relations - so ResLife marketing seems like a logical next move that will allow me to marry those interests, but I am unsure of how many and which universities actually have those kind of departments. While all my experience has been Housing related, I am also wondering if this might be a time to look into other areas of Student Affairs. And with that said, I am not so sure that I wouldn't mind working for a non-profit as well. I am really just looking for an opportunity to do things that fulfill my creative spirit and make me happy.

As much as Google may be my friend, she hasn't been incredibly helpful in exploring these career options - so my hope is by putting these thoughts in the blogosphere, maybe you have knowledge or advice I haven't yet found or heard. 

Best of wishes to all the other #SAgrads who are going on this journey with me, and if I ever may be of any assistance, please let me know! To the professionals who are aiding us, or anyone through a job search, know that your time is valued and your efforts appreciated. Your support makes the process all that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment