Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Office Tour: Tim Burton Programming Board

School is simply crazy this semester! Constantly keeping busy with presentation preparations and readings so I apologize for the lack of blogging. One of these days I really am going to get the hang of updating regularly!

This semester I had our RA staff vote on the programming board theme. Battling against TGIF (Full House, Boy Meets World, Step by Step) and Recess (the cartoon), Tim Burton ultimately came up triumphant.

Our RAs make "passive activities," informative/interactive bulletin boards, for their residents each month. This semester I decided that I would jump on that train and create something the RAs could participate in as well - Tim Burton themed of course!



Enter sign crafted to be similar to the Tim Burton Museum of Modern Art entrance. In the past the programming board (the fun and creative way we keep track of RAs' programming progress) is on the wall where it says enter, but keeping in line with our theme semester, I decided to put the programming board in the closet - like its own little world.


These are the envelopes on our encouragement board (fill your bucket concept.) If anyone is curious, the font is Alice in Wonderland


I didn't want to pick one particular movie of Burton's so I made up my own little world and just tried to stylize it in a Burton manner. House of Doors was the name I came up with. I might write a story to go with it closer to the end of the semester to elaborate the idea - keep your eyes out for that if it happens!


Voila! The House of Doors. There is a door for every RA and Pro-Staff member. 


Think The Others + Tim Burton, and that is kind of what House of Doors is meant to be like. A large emphasis on doors, keys, old manors, and the late 1800s/early 1900s. 


Instead of making an actual board, the "board" itself is this book. Each RA has their own page and their progress is kept at the bottom of each page. Creating the book was probably my favorite part - I gave every RA an old-timey job that fits their major or personality, and some of their names got Burtonized (made kind of kooky!)


This is an overall view. The reveal was really fun because we turned off all the office lights and played Tim Burton's Corpse Bride theme song to enter the room! One of the funnest projects I've worked on in some time. 

Until next time, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment