Monday, December 6, 2010

earring stud frame

So I love slash am addicted to stud earrings. Unfortunately, I'm also not the best at organizing them, often losing an earring, losing a back to one, or breaking them. I really wanted to make a holder that I liked the style of and that would help me stay organized - so this is what I made!



This is a bulletin board-style frame I bought at Hobby Lobby (originally $14.99, bought it on 50% off sale.) I was originally going to use a picture frame but they were about double the price, so I opted for this instead.

It originally had a back like this:
I took the screws out and essentially left it barebacked. I hot glued the cushion-y part in place, so that the backing was secure when I put the earrings on it.

Mine looks like this on the back:
I made two stands out of thick foam posterboard & spray painted them black with spray paint we had on hand. Originally I had did this because my intentions were to poke my earrings through the cushion & cardboard and then secure the back with my earring posts... however, it did not go over like this. I just couldn't manage to get the earrings through the backing even though it was thinner than when I bought it. If you can do that, then you could probably do this step and make it look prettier (I get excited easily when crafting and therefore rush the process - a downfall, I know.) If you're like me and can't quite get it, then I'm sure you can skip this step entirely and just leave the original back frame on.

Since I couldn't push my earrings all the way through, they're definitely stuck into the cushion enough that they won't budge, and I just put all my posts in an old organizer I had.
Anyhow, I like the way it turned out. I really like that I can leave it out and will hopefully not lose many earrings now!

Very simple craft today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment